Five Things Your Chiropractor Wants You To Know About Fashion
If you are like the average American, you take great pride in your personal appearance and you work hard to show yourself in a presentable light on a daily basis. Sadly, at times people make unhealthy fashion choices which negatively affect their overall health. Chiropractors warn their patients on a daily basis that there are better choices to be made, and since they counsel the patient in lifestyle areas as well as in healthy choices, it is not surprising that many a chiropractic patient leaves a treatment session with a newfound understanding of the dangers that are lurking in such simple accessories as high heeled shoes and fashionable hand bags.
Here are ten things your chiropractor wants you to know about fashion:
1. First and foremost, the fad that dictates tight clothing is not only uncomfortable but also unhealthy. Overly tight clothes affect the way you move and this in turn will affect your gait and posture two very important aspects of musculoskeletal health. Avoid tight fitting clothes in favor of clothes that come in your size.
2. High heels might be fashionable, but they seriously impair your spinal health. Considering that wearing high heals causes your spine to curve forward while at the same time tilting up your pelvis and altering your center of gravity, it does not take a medical school graduate to tell you that this cannot be a good idea. Nonetheless, your doctor of chiropractics urges you to stay away from such shoes and instead suggests that you pick comfortable flat shoes which come in just as many pretty varieties.
3. Men who like to carry their wallets in their back pockets need to be aware of the fact that sitting on a wallet all day will cause not only discomfort but also negatively affect the muscles that come in direct contact with this wallet. When trying to compensate for the discomfort, many a man is seen squirming or sitting in such a manner as to negatively impact the lower back. Chiropractors suggest that men should remove their wallets prior to sitting down.
4. Backpacks should be worn on your backs and not slung over your shoulder. If you must carry a purse slung over one shoulder, change sides frequently. The same is true if you are carrying an attach case. Even if it is not heavy, the frequent switching of sides will help to counteract the fact that your shoulder does tilt forward when you are carrying an object thusly.
5. Last but not least, get in tune with your body. You body will tell you if something you are wearing or carrying is causing discomfort, which if ignored will result in back pain and misaligned vertebrae.
As you can see, there are several ways of leading a healthier life and your chiropractors mission is to not only help you to have a healthy back but to also have a healthier lifestyle that will support your backs health. If you are not sure about a certain pair or shoes or purse, bring them to your chiropractor for a look and listen to her or his evaluation.